Windows 2008 in PVE 2.0

lp86

Renowned Member
Mar 3, 2010
Ohio
www.ohiointernet.net
I am going to be setting up a dual Xeon E5620 based supermicro system for a client, he is wanting to use Windows 2008, I wanted to know if anyone had any recommended settings for that OS, like disk storage type, drivers, etc.

The system has 8 drives with a 3ware 9650SE raid card, I am most likely going to use RAID 6 with 5 drives for the OS/PVE, and 2 drives in RAID1 for backups, and the remaining drive for a hot spare.

I am going to be setting up a dual Xeon E5620 based supermicro system for a client, he is wanting to use Windows 2008, I wanted to know if anyone had any recommended settings for that OS, like disk storage type, drivers, etc.

The system has 8 drives with a 3ware 9650SE raid card, I am most likely going to use RAID 6 with 5 drives for the OS/PVE, and 2 drives in RAID1 for backups, and the remaining drive for a hot spare.

Hi lp86
- For Drivers I suggest using "virtio" for the network and virtual HDD, is the best in performance, in the howto of Proxmox there is good documentation about virtio drivers. See also about qcow2 and raw for virtual HDD
- I suggest to make backups on another computer, imagine that decomposes the only PC that contains everything (either processor, memory, raid controller, etc..), You can not recover anything until repaired. and with other PC using NFS, any node "Proxmox" can access your copies of VMs, in the howto of Proxmox there is good documentation about NFS

Last edited:
We run 2008 R2 on E5620's (Dell R410) and run VirtIO drivers. Works great. Follow the wiki and you should be good.

I had the best luck with CloneZilla Live. Was able to clone across the network very quickly.

I had the best luck with CloneZilla Live. Was able to clone across the network very quickly.

I second this, CloneZilla Live worked awesome and I set it to only copy the used filespace and created qcow2 disk on server so it expands as needed. As for the drivers, virtio for hard drives for sure, although I've read in several places to stick with the latest intel network drivers for ethernet in production systems as they are almost as fast as virtio but more stable..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!