Windows 2003 R2 Migration Issues - Dynamic Disk?

chip1

Jan 20, 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm having issues migrating one of our Windows 2003 R2 servers over to the VM environment. I believe the problem to be that Windows shows the disk as a Dynamic Disk. I'm using Clonezilla to clone the disk over to the VM that I setup. There's only one 160 GB disk. It is partitioned into (C 30GB and D 120GB). Clonezilla shows everything being moved over like it should (moves over both partitions).

When I boot into Windows, I get the blue screen of death (tells me to check for hard drive corruption). I then use Hiren's boot cd to boot into Mini-XP mode. Interesting, none of the drives show up. I tried running some of the other random programs on there but can't seem to figure out what my next step should be.

The only difference between this machine and other others that i've done is Windows shows the disk as Dynamic. I've read that you need to convert it back to a basic disk which i'm hoping there is another way to handle this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I know the thread said to run TestDisk on the machine before using Clonezilla but I tried running it on the VM after Clonezilla. It actually did fix the discs in that I can boot to the Windows login now. It also does show both the c and d drives. However, i'm having another issue when I try logging in. Once I enter my username/pwd, I get directed right back to the login screen (no reboot).

It's the strangest thing. Does anyone have any ideas? I was hoping to avoid running testdisk on the machine before using Clonezilla but I might have to now.

Thanks again!

I had serious issues with dynamic disks as well. I believe I posted my solution somewhere in this forum...

You did and that's what I was following :) The only difference was that I was trying to run testdisk on the VM after clonezilla as I was afraid of messing something up on the original machine. That seemed to work except for the Windows login issue which is probably related to not switching it to a basic disc before using Clonezilla.

I'm just really shocked that more people on this forum haven't ran into this more often as I can't find much information on it besides your thread!

Last edited:
Update: I did finally get this issue resolved. I'll post the solution when I have more time, just wanted to update anyone who looks at this thread.

Update: I did finally get this issue resolved. I'll post the solution when I have more time, just wanted to update anyone who looks at this thread.

Hi,
could you post your solution. I am having the same kind of problem :(

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!