Windows 10 GPU Passthrough Bootloop

Kalyan Sriram

Oct 17, 2019
Hi, I just installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine on my home workstation running proxmox. It worked fine, so I proceeded to setup GPU passthrough. I am running an AMD Ryzen 2700X processor with a GTX 1080. GPU passthrough worked, and I was able to get a desktop setup. Next, I proceeded to download and install the latest NVIDIA drivers for my card. However, half way through the installation, my monitor went blank - I waited, but then the monitor lost signal and Windows restarted. Unfortunately, it then got stuck in a bootloop - it would show the Windows progress bar but then keep rebooting. After a few cycles, it launched the repair utility - but the automatic repair tool was unable to "fix" the machine. I then went into Proxmox configuration and removed the hostpci0 entry. The system then booted fine (although with VNC not passthrough). When I switched back to passthrough, the bootloop resumed. I then reinstalled windows from scratch, but a few minutes later, I was back in the same boat! What am I doing wrong? I installed Windows correctly (to my knowledge) including the VirtIO drivers. Any help would be appreciated!

Update: I was able to succesfully install Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop + NVIDIA drivers for linux succesfully (lspci shows nvidia driver being used) - this shows that the GPU isn't faulty. Windows still isn't working.

Last edited:
can you post the vm config (when it was configured for windows) ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!