Win11 eventually unrecoverable state with "host" CPU type

nbevans

May 9, 2024
Hi there

I recently set up a Proxmox VE and deployed my first Windows 11 guest.

Unfortunately the very next day, this guest was unbootable. It would enter the Windows PE startup recovery console. But this would fail to "repair" the problem. At first I thought somehow the VirtIO SCSI driver had become dislodged. But it wasn't that. I then thought it was Secure Boot related. So I went into the guest VM BIOS and disabled that. But no that didn't fix it either.

In the end I wiped the VM and reinstalled Windows. This time I took a backup the moment I reached desktop. I then installed Windows Updates. After it rebooted, the machine entered into the exact same broken state again. I restored the backup. Re-ran Windows Update, and bam, broken again.

In the end, in my desperation to try to fix this issue, I changed the CPU type from "host" to "x86-64-v3" (v4 doesn't seem to work on my i9-13900K). Immediately, I could boot the VM again with this CPU type. I changed the CPU type back to "host" and the VM was unbootable again (Windows startup recovery console).

Why is this happening? I thought "host" was the recommended CPU type? In order to get iGPU sharing working I will need to use the "host" CPU type.

Today 2024-07-17, i have faced this problem in months from latest kernel, the windows 11 auto boot in the loop for automatic repair. i have try many solutions but it is not fixed when the cpu type = host is given. Vm can be fixed with Cpu type x86_64 but it is not fine when simulators or graphic Gpu required the host type to be working normal.

There is no document or solution from Proxmox to fix problem. it is not happy favor. Hope this is fixed in next Promox update.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!