[SOLVED] Win 2003 blue screen after 6.8.8.2 kernel update ?

Pcom

Aug 8, 2023
Milan, Italy
Hi,

in our proxmox environment we have a Win server 2003. I know it's wrong, please don't tell me it's unsupported, we need this machine.

Yesterday evening i've updated all my proxmox server to latest kernel 6.8.8.2 and many other debian updates. I don't know if it's related but after this update the server 2003 machine doesn't boot anymore and give us blue screen every time (see attached image). I tried to disable ACPI, no signs of life, I tried to restore a backup of the VM, still BSOD, I tried to downgrade proxmox to kernel 6.8.8.1 and 6.5, nothign changes.

Any idea how to recover my 2003 machine?

Thanks

Attachments

• errore db01.jpg
    errore db01.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
For such legacy systems, I often go down the nested road: running an older PVE inside of a newer PVE and in this nested PVE the older OSes. This is of course not very fast, yet it works most of the time.

Can I ask what's the benefit of this? I mean, this server worked for many years on vmware esxi and now it's one year that is working in proxmox.

By the way, first of all now i need to regain access to a working VM. I don't know how to boot it anymore.

Can I ask what's the benefit of this?
You said that you suspect the PVE kernel, so running an older version will have an older kernel and chances are higher that it'll work again.

I mean, this server worked for many years on vmware esxi and now it's one year that is working in proxmox.
So? How many times have you upgraded your VMware in that time?

By the way, first of all now i need to regain access to a working VM. I don't know how to boot it anymore.
Revert the changes you made in your PVE and restore the VM from your backup.

Revert the changes you made in your PVE and restore the VM from your backup.

Can you explain me how to remove all the updates installed yesterday? I tried to boot the older proxmox kernel but seems not enough, problem persist.

When I will recover the VM then I'll think about a long term solution

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you try acronis universal restore (I am not sure it is still called like this today)?
It can do magic fixing mismatched drivers at boot time, and let you boot back into the system so that you can install the drivers needed to match the hardware.

Did you try acronis universal restore (I am not sure it is still called like this today)?
You can try to boot the older kernel, otherwise restore from backup.

It can do magic fixing mismatched drivers at boot time, and let you boot back into the system so that you can install the drivers needed to match the hardware.
Reverting the kernel and booting the VM from the state of the update (e.g. from backup) should automatically solve the problem.

Hi,

No, never tried. It's a free product?

You can try to boot the older kernel, otherwise restore from backup.

Reverting the kernel and booting the VM from the state of the update (e.g. from backup) should automatically solve the problem.

Unfortunately it doesn't, tried 6.8.8.1 and 6.5.something and tried last two VM backups, always blue screen at boot :(

Have you tried changing the vm cpu type ?

love you :p

I tried to change everything except cpu (without success), then I switched CPU from "host" to "kvm64" and server works again. Many thanks!

Can you or someone else explain me why this happened and if it could be related to latest kernel updates?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!