Wifi doesn’t work only on proxmox

Joemyb

May 28, 2024
Hi I setup Debian on my mini pc to make sure the WiFi card worked and it did. then I tried installing proxmox expecting the same result but sadly no. I even tried manually copying over the network config file but it still didn’t work

I've done this a couple times. You're going to have some fun. And everyone will say how dumb it is. Yay!

Proxmox is a server OS. I haven't looked, but I would be very surprised if it included WiFi support.
So, you are gonna have to install it, huh?

To start with, you need to get it online with ethernet, so you can download the rest you will need.
So make that happen without Wifi first. Oldskool. With wires.

Then ... apt install iwd

And ... follow Debian's directions here. You want the middle of the page where it talks about IWCtl.

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#IWCtl

I installed iwd. then un commented out the line as told. I then ran it and it and connected to my network. my test on whether it works is if I can view the proxmox page if I unplug the ethernet. sadly it did not work. fortunately the wifi mac address showed on my routers device connected page. I was also confused on a step where it asked me to ping 1.1.1.1 then ping gnu.org when I run it in iwd the command ping is a unrecognized command but if I run it outside of it works because of the ethernet. Exactly what do I do to fix this

Last edited:
It sounds like you got pretty far. You got connected. That's great. You are halfway there.
Now you need an IP. Run this.

ip a

What does it say? Don't post it here, nobody cares.
You are looking to verify that wifi interface has an IP assigned. If not, either get one from DHCP or assign it.

Good luck.

I can’t run it right now but when I go to my routers device page I find the WiFi MAC address. it has an ip assigned. When I then go to google and type the ip address in with port 8006 it gets me to my Proxmox web gui. Alough when I unplug the Ethernet and refresh the page it can’t connect

That means the IP is assigned to your ethernet interface, not the wifi.
If all you did was setup a wifi connection, and didn't apply an IP to the wifi interface, you aren't done yet.

The simplest thing might be to unplug the ethernet, and the restart the computer.
Don't plug the ethernet in. Connect with the wifi. Check for IP.
I'm guessing you won't see an IP, or you'll see self-assigned (169.x.x.x).

You need to connect, and then assign an ip, gateway, and route to the wifi interface.

Last edited:
How do I do all of that, specifically the routing to the WiFi interface

Last edited:
Reactions: ucbphd
Um ... its gonna be something like

ip addr add 192.168.20.101/24 dev <wifi interface>
ip link set <wifi interface> up
ip route add default via 192.168.20.1

You need to learn how to apply an IP for yourself.
This is basic linux networking. This is the part you can't ask anyone else to do.

I tried following the guide and couldn't get past the first step. When I ran apt install wpasupplicant vim it returned:

E: Unable to locate package wpasupplicant

E: Package 'vim' has no installation candidate​

I'm also confused when it asked me to:

"Configure your wifi router to route to networks that will be associated with wifi adapter. Example for /24 network:

Destination = 192.168.3.0

Netmask = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 192.168.1.100 (specify IP address of wifi adapter)"​

What is this asking me to do?

I have looked everywhere online and couldn't find anything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!