Why is the web interface port 8006 hard-coded?

Jan 15, 2021
I have a situation where I need to change the port of the PMG web interface. But there is no configuration option for this.
Finally I found out that port 8006 is hard-coded in the pmgproxy sources.

This is just horrible! Why?

I have to hack into the source every time I upgrade.

That's not the answer to my question.
I wanted to know why the hell the port is hard-coded. It looks like code from someone who was still learning Perl.

The installation of a reverse proxy and all the other fiddling would be unnecessary if the port wold be configurable.
Or is port 8006 a dogma that the user must not violate under any circumstances?

Best regards,
hjb

Hello,

I am not sure why. I think it is because other services/plugins expect the PVE/PMG API to be on port 8006 and PBS to be on port 8007.
What I can say is that hardcoding a port is a common design choice to ensure that everything related uses the same port.
In addition, nginx can be used to load balance and improve security, scalability, and flexibility.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!