Why do you need HA?

giner

Oct 14, 2009
Tokyo
Hello all,

I wonder why I can see a lot of questions related to HA on this forum.

I my experience:
1) hardware fails rarely
2) HA has to be configured properly and tested carefully
3) HA need to be tested from time to time to be sure it works
4) if you have too many machines in HA mode you can have unexpected results, for example high load or out of memory on the "donor" host

I don't work in a hosting company and all of my applications are only for office needs, so they are not required for 24x7 and only needed at work hours. And the best choice I found here is monitoring + manual recovery that is much more reliable and predictable if you don't need 24x7.

Do you all, guys, really need HA? Do you need that your machines automatically start on another host if hardware fails?

Cheers,
Stanislav

>>Do you all, guys, really need HA? Do you need that your machines automatically start on another host if hardware fails?

Hi, I'm working in a hosting company, 24x7 support, and need HA for some customer, because they really need smallest downtime possible. (5-10 minutes max)

We have financial penality if the vm don't have restarted in the SLA.

So yes, HA can be helpfull.

(But indeed hardware fails ralely)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!