Where to start!?

wijigo

Sep 25, 2024
Hi,
I am 17 years old and would like to learn cybersecurity.
I've asked the GPT and somehow gathered a roadmap for what to learn.
I've googled and found that I need to learn many things like Linux, programming, virtualization ...etc.
When I googled virtualization items, I found Proxmox is highly recommended over other items like VirtualBox or VMware (to speak the truth I know nothing about any of them).
I am a Windows user and never used any of these items, so I have a long journey ahead.
So now for the virtualization, what is the right path?
I opened the documentation here from the website, but anything I do not understand, I mean many basic terms.
So what is the right path or the right plan to learn virtualization in my case, which is almost nothing except that it is an operating system inside another operating system?
I've just bought a used laptop with all my saved money (almost 3 years of savings).
It is:
Dell Precision, 7730,
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2186M CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s),
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB
Intel(R) UHD Graphics P630
NVIDIA QUADRO P3200 (6GB GDDR5)
So may you help me with a road map to study and learn?
Is this laptop good enough?
I just followed recommendations from YouTube, but honestly, I do not know all the details about it.
I watch a lot of YouTube that advises or recommending make the best use of your time in learning and I do want to follow that but I do not know anyone in my circle who is interested in such a thing.
also, my friends consider me crazy because I am not interested in spending much time with them and prefer to set at a computer.
so please advise me.
Thanks

Hi,
I am 17 years old and would like to learn cybersecurity.
I've asked the GPT and somehow gathered a roadmap for what to learn.
I've googled and found that I need to learn many things like Linux, programming, virtualization ...etc.
When I googled virtualization items, I found Proxmox is highly recommended over other items like VirtualBox or VMware (to speak the truth I know nothing about any of them).
I am a Windows user and never used any of these items, so I have a long journey ahead.
So now for the virtualization, what is the right path?
I opened the documentation here from the website, but anything I do not understand, I mean many basic terms.
So what is the right path or the right plan to learn virtualization in my case, which is almost nothing except that it is an operating system inside another operating system?
I've just bought a used laptop with all my saved money (almost 3 years of savings).
It is:
Dell Precision, 7730,
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2186M CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s),
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB
Intel(R) UHD Graphics P630
NVIDIA QUADRO P3200 (6GB GDDR5)
So may you help me with a road map to study and learn?
Is this laptop good enough?
I just followed recommendations from YouTube, but honestly, I do not know all the details about it.
I watch a lot of YouTube that advises or recommending make the best use of your time in learning and I do want to follow that but I do not know anyone in my circle who is interested in such a thing.
also, my friends consider me crazy because I am not interested in spending much time with them and prefer to set at a computer.
so please advise me.
Thanks
Hey, before all, good practice to ask :)

But if you want to enderstand all of the world you seems volonteer, you have a loooooooooooooong road in front of you...

Now, you need to enderstand that:
you have 2 worlds of OS: consummer os (Windows MacOS Android iOS) dedicated to user where the unique goal is "it need to work, and it work".
"Builders" OS ( Unix OSs, Linux's OS ) that permit you to use each cent of your money really well, and like you want. but MANUALLY.

Proxmox is a linux'fork dedicated to virtualization world. It run very well, if you know that you're doing.
Proxmox is used by enterprise, and particular that know IT bases.
Yes, with many of bases knowledge, proxmox is "easy to use".
But, proxmox staff, subscribers, forums members have all a minimal knowledge about Linux world.
I precise it here for you, not for your young age, but for truely truth: proxmox users/staff cannot take time to explain in virtual world the minimal knowledge.

I purpose to you to begun by the linux world, that 's the first step. ( In the same way, don't start with debian, but with Ubuntu or one fork of them)
Why Ubuntu ? Because it's user community is oriented to beginners, and appreciate to help the news. But, debian forums are for advanced users, and you don't be well welcome with beginner questions.

You can easyly try it without install. But you can to:
- Install it on USB stick (Yes ! Linux can! :D)
- Use a lvl 2 Hypervisor like VirtualBox or Vmware Player for try to install it

Theses two method permit you to begin and test all you want, without crash or delete your actual windows system.
In the linux world, you want to learn:
- network GUI /CLI basics,
- Users rights /management rights
- What's used for a computer
- How to remote access to your server

You need to enderstand that in linux world, all of you want to do cannot all be done with your GUI. Many of configurations need to be done with your cli interface. Finally, if you try to install proxmox, you wanna enderstand my speak easyly: proxmox doesn't have a GUI. If you don't know CLI basics (same 95% to cli ubuntu & debian), you gonna have problem ^^

All of that is ( for me ) pretty beautiful and i like to use and do this kind of actions everyday. But i don't know if you see it like a mountain or like a plain to achieve. If you have questions about all of that, no problem :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!