Where do I learn this?

Aug 7, 2024
New here, just set up my first proxmox yesterday and got a few LXCs running. I'm a former programmer so I understand some of the concepts, but for example I don't "speak" networking or VMs. I don't like just following guides and pasting in shell commands that I don't fully understands, even though they give me the results I want. Some things I want to do is to be able to access web services in LXCs by hostname instead of ip locally, and through my domain name as subdomains.

Where does one start with learning these basic concepts for running a proxmox server and actually understanding it in detail? I don't want to "pick this up as I go", because that kind of self taught knowledge always leaves a lot of gaps and bad practices.

What are you running for a network? I would normally set all my VMs and CTs to DHCP, and handle all of the networking related tasks in pfSense, my firewall/router software. I would do that through DHCP reservations in pfSense. Also within pfSense, I have a local DNS resolver that resolves all of my local devices in my domain. It doesn't matter if you use pfSense or a different/competing product. I am just pointing out that for most people this is not handled in the server itself.

What are you running for a network? I would normally set all my VMs and CTs to DHCP, and handle all of the networking related tasks in pfSense, my firewall/router software. I would do that through DHCP reservations in pfSense. Also within pfSense, I have a local DNS resolver that resolves all of my local devices in my domain. It doesn't matter if you use pfSense or a different/competing product. I am just pointing out that for most people this is not handled in the server itself.
Thanks for the reply, do you run pfSense in a VM on Proxmox?

Thanks for the reply, do you run pfSense in a VM on Proxmox?
I have run pfSense in a VM before, and it works fine. I prefer to run pfSense on bare metal, in a separate machine. That way if I take down my Proxmox server (which happens a lot more than you might think) then I am not taking down the internet for my family

You cannot migrate a machine to another cluster node during downtime?

I don't like just following guides and pasting in shell commands that I don't fully understands, even though they give me the results I want.

The one way to learn from those "blind" copy&paste guides is to do your own research on why those work.

Some things I want to do is to be able to access web services in LXCs by hostname instead of ip locally,

If this was your only concern and it's on the same subnet, you may as well apt install avahi-daemon locally on each such container and then access it with hostname.local - no need to worry about DHCP reservations and other intricate setup. The fun begins when you start researching why it works and how is that different from regular DNS.

and through my domain name as subdomains.

Is your domain public?

Where does one start with learning these basic concepts for running a proxmox server and actually understanding it in detail? I don't want to "pick this up as I go", because that kind of self taught knowledge always leaves a lot of gaps and bad practices.

For a neatly compiled resources on specific topic, e.g. networking, there's a always cost to it. All learning leaves "gaps".

EDIT: Overkill suggestion for a structured learning would be to e.g. start with a resource like this:

https://www.ebooks.com/en-us/book/536719/tcp-ip-network-administration/craig-hunt/

Last edited:
Reactions: frnak
I am basically self taught. I spend a lot of time in my home lab breaking things and learning by trial and error as well as watching lots of Youtube tutorials from folks like Techno Tim, Christian Lempa, Jim's Garage, Network Chuck, David McKone, Jay LaCroix at LearnLinuxTV, Tom Lawrence, etc.

Jay LaCroix/LearnLinuxTV has really good series of tutorials for learning Linux basics, as well as learning Proxmox. I highly recommend his channel. Tom Lawreence/Lawrence Systems has a lot of really good content on all things networking. As does NetworkChuck

Reactions: frnak
I am basically self taught. I spend a lot of time in my home lab breaking things and learning by trial and error as well as watching lots of Youtube tutorials from folks like Techno Tim, Christian Lempa, Jim's Garage, Network Chuck, David McKone, Jay LaCroix at LearnLinuxTV, Tom Lawrence, etc.

Jay LaCroix/LearnLinuxTV has really good series of tutorials for learning Linux basics, as well as learning Proxmox. I highly recommend his channel. Tom Lawreence/Lawrence Systems has a lot of really good content on all things networking. As does NetworkChuck
Thanks for the great pointers!

The one way to learn from those "blind" copy&paste guides is to do your own research on why those work.

If this was your only concern and it's on the same subnet, you may as well apt install avahi-daemon locally on each such container and then access it with hostname.local - no need to worry about DHCP reservations and other intricate setup. The fun begins when you start researching why it works and how is that different from regular DNS.

Is your domain public?

For a neatly compiled resources on specific topic, e.g. networking, there's a always cost to it. All learning leaves "gaps".

EDIT: Overkill suggestion for a structured learning would be to e.g. start with a resource like this:

https://www.ebooks.com/en-us/book/536719/tcp-ip-network-administration/craig-hunt/
Thanks for the pointers and detailed response. My domain is currently just parked, I'll keep that as something to think about later. But this gives me a great jumping off point for most of my questions. Thanks again!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!