Where are my VM backups gone?

fpdragon

Feb 24, 2022
Hi,

As described in an other post, I had a crash with my Proxmox server and several VMs.
I still have a drive of one of my windows machines, which I used as CIFS/SMB share in Proxmox. There I created my Proxmox backups.

Now I reinstalled Proxmox and mounted the CIFS share on the new setup but no backups, no images, nothing is shown in PVE.

Here are some screenshots:
1706215963195.png
in proxmox

1706216001442.png
in windows

1706216089957.png
the drive in WizTree...

The share is provided by a Windows Server 2022 and the storage is a Windows Storage Space with Tiering enabled and ReFS file system format.

So now to my question:
What the hell has happened?
I see that 1.1TB are in use but if I go through the directories, no files are there.
In P:\dump\vzdump-qemu-*.tmp\qemu-server.conf there are several directories of that kind and there is just the conf file with about 2KB.
Any idea where the real backup data has gone or how to access it?
I know it could be a Win question but maybe you have an idea.

Show hidden and show system files is activated.

I guess my backups are there somewhere since the space is allocated?!

Thanks.

PS: I really had no luck the last days. xD

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!