What storage for ProxMox server

Mahatma73

Jun 26, 2024
Hi
I am testing proxmox and I installed it on 16GB SD drive in Raid1.
It works but it has not enough space for /var/tmp/ and 95% on partition where it stores it so I wonder if it is a workable solution or sooner or later I will have to swap to bigger drives just for PM?
I have a choice of adding 2x600GB SAS in RAID1 and wonder if it maybe would be better solution or upgrade SD to 64GB and I will not need any more space?
What is your experience?

I am testing proxmox and I installed it on 16GB SD drive in Raid1.
Don't install it on pen drives, SD cards and similar. PVE writes a lot and will kill those quickly. With ZFS for raid1 it it might even kill small/cheap consumer SSDs pretty fast. Get proper HDDs or SSDs.

It works but it has not enough space for /var/tmp/ and 95% on partition where it stores it so I wonder if it is a workable solution or sooner or later I will have to swap to bigger drives just for PM?
I usually recommend to use 32GB for the root fileystem. If you want to upload big ISOs or you don't got other disks for storing backups/ISOs/templated you probably want way more.

I have a choice of adding 2x600GB SAS in RAID1 and wonder if it maybe would be better solution or upgrade SD to 64GB and I will not need any more space?
HDDs are fine. PVE only needs good IOPS performance for the VM storage.

Reactions: Mahatma73
Don't install it on pen drives, SD cards and similar. PVE writes a lot and will kill those quickly. With ZFS for raid1 it it might even kill small/cheap consumer SSDs pretty fast. Get proper HDDs or SSDs.

I usually recommend to use 32GB for the root fileystem. If you want to upload big ISOs or you don't got other disks for storing backups/ISOs/templated you probably want way more.

HDDs are fine. PVE only needs good IOPS performance for the VM storage.
THanks for the answer this Is what I wanted to be sure of before I will use it for real.
I was advised that I can use this tiny 2xSD card raid to run the VMware or ProxMox and have 6x4TB SAS drives in matrix 60 this allows me to use remaining 2 slots to create Raid 1 with for example 600GB drives for the system and this I will do.
I will try to migrate from SD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!