What is the best practice for busy web application?

Andy Huang

Renowned Member
Jan 1, 2013
I have a web application that is about to see some traffic. Here are a few approaches I've thought of, but I don't know which one is best:

• Multiple VMs each with own files, with a Varnish front-end load balancing them
  • Multiple VMs with a shared NFS on separate VM, with a Varnish front-end load balancing them
  • Multiple VMs with a shared NFS on host node, with a Varnish front-end load balancing them
  • One powerful VM, with Varnish acting as reverse proxy

Can you please advise which is the correct best practice approach?

Why not put web and database on separate server? (even with 1 VM on each Server) -- then use NAS for flexibility expanding your system.

I only have one physical server at this point. The database is in a separate VM from the web application, and can be moved to a separate physical if and when the need arise. I'm more debating as to how to virtualize and share resources properly, so the web application servers doesn't die and fail for now...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!