What about Slcackware as an LXC in Proxmox 4?

marc.d

Renowned Member
Nov 26, 2015
Hi,

On the Proxmox site, I can see which distributions are supported in Proxmox 4 LXC, with more to come in the future.

However, I do have a couple of Slackware 14.1 containers running on a Proxmox 3.4 home server, which is the reason why I did not migrate to Proxmox 4 yet.

So the question becomes: will Slackware be officially supported in future Proxmox releases?

If the answer is no, could you maybe provide hints on which files/scripts I can modify to make that work?

Regards,

Marc

Dietmar,

I created myself the template I used already a few years back, which can be downloaded here: users.skynet.be/bk000174
(It's a bit silly I am not allowed to put links in my post here, bummer)

I also do have a template for Slackware 14.2, but that one is to big to be hosted at the same place :-(

For networking I use bridging mode. I'm not really using the Proxmox provided scripts for adapting the bootup scripts, I tailored the startup scripts by hand once the container was started. I don't exactly remember which changes were made to make networking work, but using the good old Slackware way it must be the inet*.* scripts located in /etc/rc.d/

I would certainly be happy if Slackware could be made running inside LXC in Proxmox.

Marc

---

Added 27-NOV-2015:

In the meanwhile i figure i changed rc.inet1.conf (in /etc/rc.d ) so it includes following lines

# Config information for eth0:
IFNAME[0]="eth0"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.141"
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

After rebooting the container, eth0 is alive and kicking, and i can reach my brand new slackware server :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!