Weird Problem? No Ethernet when PCI-E Card installed?

hmmmm

Apr 18, 2024
Hi
I use an old Shuttle XH110G where I have various USB, SSD Cards in the Socket and sadly I cant access the Server via there IP.
Its seam that when I put anything in the Socket the Network Chipset dont get used or something.

How to know if it is a SW or HW Problem?

I can shut down the Server via the Keyboard and Display.
Thanks

What did you try?
When I remove any PCI-E Card everything work fine. When any Card is installed the onboard Network seem to not work.
As the where my "Gaming Pc" and the Graphiccard was installed in Windows 7 / 10 it work flawlessly.
I would like know if its a "common" error or I should ask the Shuttle Support if there Bios or what ever locked the Slot to be only used by an Graphic Card.

Ahhh.

Would you be ok to run this command and paste the output here? lspci -nnk

That will give us info about the PCIe devices and addresses on your computer.

It would also be useful to paste the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file here too. :)

Reactions: hmmmm
Phone camera? :)
Oh I never take pictures in my Home Office.
Today I got the replay from the Shuttle Support and Translate them into English:
"The PCIe x16 slot is directly controlled by the CPU (PEG). Some PCIe accessory cards may not be able to operate in this mode and require PCIe lanes from the PCH (chipset)."

Oh I never take pictures in my Home Office.
Well, in that case it seems like you're wasting everyone's time. :(

You've asked questions, and we've given answers as to the likely problem, and how to diagnose it.

Then you've ignored literally everyone and done your own thing.

The "Shuttle Support" people's answer has nothing at all to do with the problem.

If you're not even going to follow simple instructions to collect the info people need in order to help you then there's nothing more to be done.

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!