Weird networking issues with VirtI/O

apollo13

Jan 16, 2018
Hi there, I will try my best to describe the issue and maybe it is not even a proxmox bug, but I am not sure where to start. I have reduced our problem to the following: We have a vmbr0 to has a bond2 as member and bonds two interfaces from an Intel 10Gigabit X550T network card. The bond members go to one 10 Gbit switch and as fallback to a 1 Gbit switch. So far so good, this does work. No we do have one problem that only seems to show itself when using FreeBSD (PfSense to be exact).

When the connection fails over to the 1 Gbit link, connections to the PfSense VM on that host start hanging when accessed from other VMs on that same host (kinda randomly, sometimes a 200MB download works but most often it starts hanging at a random download percentage). Please note that the connection between does VMs does not leave the Host at all and connections between 2 Linux VMs on the host work just fine. If I remove the bond from the configuration and readd the problematic interface as single bridge member all is well again.

Do you have any ideas where I should start looking? Is this a virtio driver Bug in PfSense? vmxnet3 exhibits no issues but limits me to gigabit speeds even on the same host.

I can provide any details wanted, I simply do not know what information to provide currently :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!