WebGUI Console freezes on VM boot

astro666

Aug 9, 2024
Hi,

I have a strange one. I am running Ubuntu Server 24.04 on the latest release of Proxmox, freshly installed today. When I boot the VM and open the console (noVNC) it will run through the boot process but the session will 'freeze' at some point about halfway through the boot process. I can close the console window and reopen it, and it's still stuck at that spot. The window is non responsive and doesn't respond to any input.
Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.55.18.png
SSHing into my server shows its booted and working fine, so it's like there is a specific issue or driver incompatibility for noVNC where the screen/KVM controller 'freezes' at that point in time.

I've tried default, standard VGA, VMWare compatible graphics card settings with no luck.Interestingly my VM wont successfully boot if I try and use the VirtIO-GPU option.

Ive accessed the console from Safari,and from chrome, with the same issue.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.56.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.56.02.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.57.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.57.12.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
Output from the command line on the host:

Code:
root@proxmox-1:~# qm terminal vmid
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").
400 Parameter verification failed.
vmid: type check ('integer') failed - got 'vmid'
qm terminal <vmid> [OPTIONS]

Hello,
An update. I've found this 100% reproducible on new VMs of Ubuntu server 24.04. Even if there is a full PCI passthrough of the GPU (thus outputting VM display on external monitor) the vnc console still 'freezes' on the boot sequence. I have tried most display types (except virGL), with no luck.

To the question above, sorry I misunderstood. Output as follows (same behaviour on all ubuntu vms).
[CODE
root@proxmox-1:~# qm terminal 102 -iface serial0
starting serial terminal on interface serial0 (press Ctrl+O to exit)

[/CODE]
Nothing appears within the terminal, no login or anything. Rebooting the VM while connected to the serial shows the PVE boot sequence but not the VM boot sequence.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!