Web console freezes and forever stops working on that LXC container ID if too much text is pasted in.

Chess

Apr 17, 2021
I pasted a huge amount of text into the web console (xterm.js) for LXC container ID 201 by mistake, a huge log's worth of data. This caused the web console to freeze up. Now, no matter what I do, I cannot access the web console for this container anymore. It connects properly, then sits on a black screen with the white box (as if I can type) on the top left. This box is not blinking:
  • Rebooting the container and restarting the web console does not fix it.
  • The web console for all other containers is continuing to work fine.
  • I can still access the container through the "lxc-attach --name 201" command on the host, and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong here.
  • I tried every Console mode (tty, console, shell) in the Proxmox settings for this container, nothing worked.
  • noVNC has the same output.
  • I tried pressing Control - ALT - F1, and every similar combination I can think of.
  • When this happened in the past, rebooting the entire Proxmox host fixed it.
  • I cloned the container to ID 202, and the web console for ID 202 works. I then deleted ID 201, and cloned 202 over to 201...and the 201 web console still doesn't show any output.
I presume there's some cache or other such file/setting on the Proxmox host, that's specifically tied to ID 201, which I can manually clear when this happens. Anyone have any idea where that might be?

Some points I forgot:
  • Hitting enter doesn't give me any prompts or login screen. It stays on the black screen.
  • I had this happen once while in a screen session (screen -S superman). I was able to fix it by exiting the screen session (Control - A - D).
  • When pasting the text, it's going directly on the bash prompt.

I just had the same problem when pasting the text broke the LXC console access via proxmox web.

pve-manager/7.4-16/0f39f621

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!