WARN: running QEMU version does not support backup fleecing - continuing without

herzkerl

Mar 18, 2021
I've enabled backup fleecing for one of our hosts, but keep getting this error message.

Unfortunately I can't find anything about the minimum QEMU version needed.
Also, when I edit the machine settings and set the version to latest it keeps resetting to 5.1 for some Windows VMs.

Hi,
it's not about the machine version, but about the running QEMU binary. You can find the minimum required e.g. from the changelog:
Code:
pve-qemu-kvm (8.1.5-5) bookworm; urgency=medium

* implement support for backup fleecing

-- Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>  Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:46:48 +0200

Make sure to shutdown+start the VM after installing a recent enough QEMU version, or use the Reboot button in the UI which does the same (reboot inside the guest is not enough). Alternatively, you can also live-migrate to an already updated node.

Windows is very prone to (virtual) hardware changes, so you should be careful before changing the machine version (e.g. have backups, test on a clone first). IIRC, you can't use latest for Windows, it needs to be pinned to a specific version.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!