Wake On Lan not working

sentur

Jan 11, 2023
Having trouble getting wake on lan working. It wont persist across reboots.

I've tried setting the Wake-On flag to 'g' but it wont stick across reboots.

I've tried adding the command to /etc/network/interfaces

Wake-on is supported by the NIC.

Code:
# ethtool enp2s0 | grep Wake
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d

The NIC is a Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15) on a Dell Optiplex 3080 10500t.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.34/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports enp2s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s enp2s0 wol g

Thank you. This seems to have enabled to Wake-on: g as a consistent flag across reboots.

Still seem to be having trouble though getting the Dell Optiplex box to WOL, so there must be something else at play that I've not been able to work out yet.

Hi, my ASUS onboard NIC never successfully worked with WOL, despite tech spec saying so. Bought a separate 2.5 Gbit/s Realtek 8125B listed as having WOL and everything started working as it should, incl sticking after reboots.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BXSZQSTF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Thanks, this would be ideal. But the box is a 1L SFF with no PCIe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!