vnc client unable to type if enhance pointer precision is turned on in Windows Guest

SteveRadich

Jun 29, 2012
I migrated a Windows 2003 server with mouse "Enhance pointer precision" turned on - I have an issue with this setting and a physical KVM over IP so this isn't "your" bug - But you've removed the ability to use most VNC clients that I can get around this with (because they allow me to send various extra keys).

After a few hours of finding out abut sendkey and remembering a LOT of keyboard shortcuts I got the new NIC IP configured and was able to RDP to the server to fix this - However it cost me migrating in a maint window and a LOT of headache due to removing any way for me to use a traditional VNC client.

But what is the problem?

1) I can't send ANY keyboard after clicking the menu (see below)
2) I can't send Alt-Tab
3) I can't send Control-Escape / Windows Key
4) I can't send enter through sendkey

Why can't I send ANY keyboard keys after clicking the menu? I have to click in the graphic to have the java interface realize I want to type - But I then can't type because I've clicked on a different (wrong) spot on the screen (in the guest, hence what I tried to do lost focus).

How did I work around this?

I had a laptop and my desktop, using laptop to ssh and sendkey and desktop for anything else - It was a mess.

Attached is Control Panel - Mouse settings to show where this option is if others encounter it.

MouseEnahcePrecision.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!