VMs not reacheable after en- and disabling Firewall

esprox

Sep 1, 2024
I wanted to firewall a specific vm. I set a rule that should allow ssh in at the vm and then enabled the firewall for the vm and for the data center. My rule didn't work and I disabled the firewall at data center level. But my vms and lxcs are still not reachable.

I can:
  • ssh into proxmox node
  • open proxmox web interface
  • open vm's novnc console in web interface
  • see the vms in my router's list of connected devices
I can't
  • ping my vms
  • ssh into my vms
  • open their web apps on their ports
  • ping any website from the vm (via novnc)
I found some similar threads but they are mostly about losing access to the web interface - this was always reachable for me.

Some checks:
I disabled firewall on datacenter, node and vm levels
Code:
pve-firewall status

ufw status on a vm allows ssh

Rebooting the node did not help.

I then re-enabled firewall on data center level and set Input Policy to ACCEPT, but I still can't reach my vms. During my tinkering, they are sometimes running into a timeout and sometimes instantly failing, I guess that's the difference between DROP and REJECT, but should they not be reacheable if the firewall is disabled on every level?

It's working again after I restored a backup of the proxmox machine. Can't say exactly what the issue was unfortunately.

I meant a backup of the proxmox installation itself. I've been using this:
https://github.com/DerDanilo/proxmox-stuff/tree/master

The Restore didn't work out of the box, had to change the path in the restore script and remove /etc/pve as it said

Mär 07 20:36:15 pmxcfs[5036]: fuse: mountpoint is not empty
Mär 07 20:36:15 pmxcfs[5036]: fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Mär 07 20:36:15 pmxcfs[5036]: [main] crit: fuse_mount error: File exists

(solution from https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/installation-to-start-pve-cluster.85490/ )

Regarding my vms/lxcs, their life partitions are on one zfs pool and the daily snapshots on another, but those were not needed in this case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!