VMs from CENTOS7 KVM to Proxmox

texmansru47

Jul 25, 2024
So quick question.. I know to import the qcow2 files for the VMs I want to migration from KVM to Proxmox... but what about the .xml files? I was told those were required for any migration, yet I cannot find a stitch of information from proxmox on that import... if it is required.

Bottom line.... Can I do a successful migration with just the .qcow2 files OR if I need the .xml files how do I import those or bring them over? Is that just a simple copy? Again there is NO information on this that I can find.

Any feedback would be helpful!

Hi,
for how to import disks or a full OVA/OVF, see: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_import_virtual_machines

If you can't export as OVA/OVF first, you'll need to re-create the configuration on Proxmox VE for the VM manually:
1. create an empty dummy VM
2. import the disks
3. adapt the VM settings to match what you used previously (CPU settings, RAM, vNICs, display, etc.)

Hi,
for how to import disks or a full OVA/OVF, see: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_import_virtual_machines

If you can't export as OVA/OVF first, you'll need to re-create the configuration on Proxmox VE for the VM manually:
1. create an empty dummy VM
2. import the disks
3. adapt the VM settings to match what you used previously (CPU settings, RAM, vNICs, display, etc.)
Thank you for the feedback so by re-creating the VM then importing the data disk file (qcow2) will that be a true migration (same VM operationally as before) OR is that just a new VM?

It is a new VM, because Proxmox VE might not even expose exactly the same settings as you have in your XML file. But if you match the original configuration, it should run just the same. In any case, the data will be exactly the same, because the data is on the disks.

To get exactly the same, you would need to dump the full QEMU commandline and use that, but that should not be required and then it's not integrated in Proxmox VE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!