[SOLVED] VMs are missing after trying to change node name

dor_sax

Jun 8, 2021
Hi all,

I tried to change the name of my node, as I was beginning to structure my network. I already had VMs and CTs, but decided with a good backup everything would be fine...
So before editing the files mentioned in the wiki article I made a backup of the files in /etc/pve/nodes/ and /var/lib/rrdcached/db/ to get everything rolled back if anything didn't work.

Then I edited hosts, hostnames, and the two locations mentioned above; rebooted. Once in the panel, my VMs didn't migrate and where unaccessible in the old 'pve'-node. I then rolled everything back and rebooted, and now my machines are all missing... As all of the files are still there and backed up, I guess I can bring them back? Or at least recover them? It would be a mess to do all again from the ground, because some systems weren't included in the latest back up.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Found the solution: For some reason the contents of the subfolders in /etc/pve/nodes/pve were not copied via `cp -r`. After rereading the wiki entry it seems that this is indeed expected behaviour...
SOLVED

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!