<vmid>.conf comments?

Hi,

Is this thread still up do date ?
This is the google #1 thread for
Code:
proxmox adding comment in conf file

I need to add text to a line, in a way that will not break proxmox
And it would be even better if proxmox didn't mangle it, but that could be fine


Specifically I have this line

Code:
serial3: socket

And I want to add something like this

Code:
serial3: socket; vmserialctl{serial=serial1;allow=@link,@resources;elevate=@resources;enable_hash=pbkdf2_sha256$...;ttl=300;unsafe=0}

or

serial3: socket #vmserialctl{serial=serial1;allow=@link,@resources;elevate=@resources;enable_hash=pbkdf2_sha256$...;ttl=300;unsafe=0}

etc..

Is there any way at all to do this ?

I am creating a program called vmserialctl
It gets automatically attached to serial ports of VMs that have a "serial3: socket #vmserialctl{" in their .conf
and the rest is the config and access control of what that VM can ask vmserialctl to do.

Originally, it was to allow a VM the ability to shut off it's ethernet port with link_down

But it has grown to allow a VM to change ANY of its own settings, get its own configuration and even change other VM settings and also just get a shell if necessary (and the ability to put any function in disable/enable/elevated )

So I'm hoping to do all of this cleanly and with a single systemd unit to start the orchestrator and have 100% of the configuration per VM stored in the VM's .conf line

-----------


Just tried, but I only have old proxmox 8.4 to test

This
Code:
serial3: socket # vmserialctl{serial=serial1;allow=@link,@resources;elevate=@resources;enable_hash=pbkdf2_sha256$...;ttl=300;unsafe=0}
Fatal, VM does not start at all

1789360309320.png

I kept trying many formulations

1789360408232.png

But it won't, I will have to patch whatever is producing the syntax error so that it will ignore the rest

or maybe proxmox 9 is more lenient
 
Last edited:
Thank you, I will write my 2 cents there,
Could you tell me, what is the part of proxmox
which is refusing to start on the formulation I proposed above.
Is it a QEMU error in the binary
Or is it the Proxmox webui refusing to start ?
Or is it something in between ?

I think it is something in between that does conf file validation before starting QEMU
And I think I could live patch it, if only I knew which system name it was

thanks !
 
The line you put for serial3 is taken verbatim including everything that's intended as a comment by you, because the configuration parsing does not support such comments.

Don't edit configuration files manually, always use qm set, then it will complain about invalid entries already when setting them.