vmbr gatway settings - gui vs cli

prxmoxusr

Jan 26, 2022
As many I'm trying to understand how vland gateway settings works as I noticed that it's not possible from the gui to define the gateway for a vmbr and same goes for when defining a vlan using vmbr1.210, which isn't possible in the gui but if I do it from the cli (/etc/network/interfaces) and reboot the system it sticks and the gui shows the defined gateway:

Screenshot 2024-07-04 171622.png

So a few questions which I haven't found clear answers to:

Q1: Why the doesn't the gui allow for this config when it's clearly supported?

Q2: Using the above example, can I assume that it's also safe to add gateway configuration for both vmbr1 and vmbr2 from cli as well? Doing this via the gui gives me "Default gateway already exists on interface 'vmbr0'.".

Q3: If the answer is No on Q2, is that to be understod that all outgoing traffic is going out via vmbr0 or is it actually just passed through vmbr0 and then out via respective vmbr1, vmbr2, etc.?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!