VMA file not extracting.

Zypherex

Apr 7, 2022
Hey Proxmox peeps,

I have a very important VM that I am needing to recover and I dont need it to be the whole VM. I am mainly after the configuration data and I can rebuild from there. The backup was taken a shy bit over a month ago on a synology NAS however when I try to extract it I get a corrupt block error. Pretty sure this happens during the extraction faze as I am manually decompressing now to get my VMA file. It appears I will not be able to mount a VMA file. However every time I try to restore it fails and deletes the volume.

1.) Is it possible to keep the volume intact and not delete itself after the failure.
2.) If that .raw disk file is able to remain in the directory would it be readable if mountable. Like I said not all data as I am looking for maybe 500MB off this server.

1656372005685.png

Come to find out this is actually failing during the decompression part........is there anyway I can recover this?

I edited the qemuserver.pm file located for me in (usr/share/perl15/PVE) to have zstd not delete the vma disk.....fingers crossed.

If found I commented out the $cfg line instead of the $storecfg so giving it another shot lets see if it works.

Hi,
did you run systemctl reload-or-restart pveproxy.service pvedaemon.service to reload the API after editing the file?

Hey Fabian,

I did restart both each time I tested. (I have 2 SSH windows open so the first time I ran the restart pvedaemon in the other window.) I just checked this morning and found that it is still removing the VMA file once it completes. Are there other lines I need to edit to keep the .vma intact even after the decoding fails?

1656415904284.png1656415963512.png

It seems that you are using zstd directly. Editing Proxmox VE scripts won't affect that. Please try to use qmrestore or restore via UI.

Thank you Fabian this worked! Would it be possible to enable a flag option with qmrestore to keep partial disk? So that even if not bootable you can recover data.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!