VM starts on boot before its cloud-init drive is mounted

IDan

Jan 24, 2024
My VM has custom vendor configuration for cloudinit from a snippet located on a NAS cifs share. When I set VM to start on boot, it consistently fails (unless I set a delay) because cifs share is not yet available. I can't find a way to explicitly tell Proxmox that the VM should wait on the particular configures storage, so my assumption is that it should do that automagically.

I can see at least a couple of workarounds (the delay is the obvious one; also, I can replace cifs storage for the cluster with a combination of fstab entry with x-systemd.before=pve-guests.service + dir storage), so it is not critical issue in any respect. But it would have been nice if Proxmox could figure out the dependency itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!