Vm running valheim seems to have network bridge forwarding problem.

dreiseratops

Oct 21, 2022
ok so running an ubuntu 22.04 vm
The t3500 sees an ip of 192.168.1.105
the vm sees an ip of 192.168.1.21
My ports are forwarded in my router from .21
My Valheim client sees the server and reports its name etc but when I connect it doesnt ask for a password and says connection failed as if the ports are not forwarded.
Firewalls are both off. Pings go everywhere from everywhere. my client machine is 192.168.1.19
Who wants to walk me through linux command line novice stuff to figure it out?
Screenshot from 2022-10-23 10-11-44.png

hi,
can you connect from the local network via telnet: telnet [host ip] [port]? I hope you know which port valheim is using ;). You can do this from proxmox host.

If you see just this then it looks like the port is closed
Code:
$ telnet 192.168.18.21 9000
Trying 192.168.18.21...

If you see something like this the port should be open
Code:
$ telnet 192.168.18.21 8006
Trying 192.168.18.21...
Connected to 192.168.18.21.
Escape character is '^]'.

If you can't connect from the local network I would guess that there is either a firewall active on the VM itself or the server isn't running.

When I try the telnet thing it says refused.
I can ssh in and top says the server is running though.

telnet 192.168.1.17 2456 Trying 192.168.1.17... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Well I also tried a server on a baremetal machine hooked up next to my proxmox box.
Works fine. I switched to DDWRT on router 2 and set it up as a switch (I think).
Looking into the VMs firewall options Im seeing things that seem like they would block traffic turned on.
Are these settings wrong for a game server?1666641073112.png

Also wouldnt DHCP create ip conflicts?
Im in over my head.

Some more questions, maybe they get us on the right path:
  • is the firewall disabled on the VM + Node + Datacenter levels?
  • Are you sure the server is running? When you try tellnet on the server itself does it work?
The DHCP setting here is only to tell the firewall to let DHCP traffic trough, this is not a DHCP server :).

OMG. Solved.
Thank you for trying but I was barking up the wrong tree entirely.
Turns out ubuntu 22.04 needed additional packages installed.
Code:
apt-get install libpulse-dev libatomic1 libc6
Fixed my invisible running server problem.
I still dont understand but redoing the install and trying different methods and googling the errors finally worked.

Reactions: thomscon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!