VM Performance for developers

MaverickHL

Aug 6, 2024
Hello,

I recently built a homelab for my working at home setup and so far it has been working well overall. However one of my developers raised in issue with the Windows VM performance for compiling their code being slower than bare metal and I was wondering if adding a pair of SSD for L2ARC and ZIL/SLOG will help improve said performance.

This is my current server setup:

MB: Supermicro X10SRA-F
CPU: E5-V2699v3
RAM: 256GB
Storage setup:
2 x 1TB NVME ZFS mirror for OS and VM

Planned to add:
2 x Kingston DC500 480GB for L2ARC + ZIL/SLOG

If someone has advice on this it would be great.

Have you verified that they are I/O limited?

That's a >10 year old Haswell CPU, I'm willing to bet that's your limitation, especially with all the security mitigations in place, we dumped the same gen xeons a number of years ago because they perform so badly with mitigations on.

Either way adding slower SATA SSD will likely only slow down the existing NVMe drives.

I will wager that you could get better performance by using the SATA SSD's for the Proxmox OS (and storing ISO's etc) and using the NVME drives in support of VM's only.

Also, you did not specify the type of NVME drives you have deployed but using fast drives that are rated for sustained performance makes a huge difference.

Private Cloud and Bare Metal | US Based Infrastructure | Proxmox Deployment | Alpha3 Cloud

For the nvme these were just out of shelf samsung evo nvme drives. If there is a difference set with better sustain performance other than the pro versions I will take suggestions. But this was mainly for the homelab use and to replace old dell work machines (optiplex 7050) that we had at our office so the specs were ideally close to them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!