VM network speed limits?

jchung

Oct 18, 2024
I have a recently acquired Supermicro server. X10DRH-iT motherboard, 2 x Xeon E-2630L v4, and 128GB ECC RAM (8 x 16GB sticks), quad port 10Gig ethernet adapter.
I added all 4 ports from the quad port 10Gig adapter to a linux bond interface (bond0). I created a linux bridge interface (vmbr1) and assigned the bond0 interface.

I installed the latest stable Proxmox and created a VM for Truenas Scale. I allocated 8 "host" CPUs and 32 GB RAM. VirtIO for the VM's network adapter.
From within the VM, I run iperf3 in server mode. From the Proxmox host I run perf3 client to the iperf3 server in the VM.

iperf3 reports at most about 25 Gbps and the VM appears to be using only about 2.5 CPUs. There is no other activity on the TrueNAS VM at the moment.

Am I running into single core/thread CPU performance limits that's restricting me from getting more than 25Gbps between the proxmox host and the TrueNAS scale VM ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!