VM mirroring between non clustered nodes.

Teucrus

Jul 7, 2018
Hello,

Consider the following scenario:

I have two proxmox nodes A and B. They are standalone nodes in separate datacenters.
Node A has one or more VMs/CTs on it.

What I need, is to mirror selected VMs/CTs to node B and keep it periodically synced from A to B while the VMs/CTs are still running on both nodes.

The VMs/CTs can be stopped during the sync if nessecary but need to start them again after the sync automatically.

Do you know any out of the box or easy to impletent solutions for this?
How would you do this?

Thank you for your time

That's what we call a "scope creep".

I know of PVE-zsync, but that will not sync the config, or create the vm if it doesn't exist.
No such tool exists. You can write your own script. Why would a VM suddenly not exist in the middle of existing replication? If you need to create a VM during initial setup - write a wrapper script that does those things. It would need to deal with VM ID conflicts, storage differences, space problems, etc. How often does you VM config change that you need to sync it on regular basis?
It looks like a very narrow niche situation that you have to create a custom solution for.

Also I don't want to just create a snapshot on the remote node. I want to apply it to the running vm.
Its impossible to apply out of band changes to data on a root filesystem (or other in-use data) in a running instance and expect it to survive it. You will have data corruption.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!