VM fails to start on older Proxmox server

cbad

Jun 25, 2017
We’re running an old Proxmox server, v1.9. It’s been a workhorse for years running several VMs flawlessly. It is mostly used for internal purposes so it is not really exposed.

Suddenly one of the VMs won’t start. This VM has a large database on it that has been neglected to be backed up to an external device. Therefore, it is important for us to get it started again so we can rectify that situation.

I’m not the one who setup the proxmox configuration and the person who did has left. I’m hoping there might be expertise here that can help resolve this situation. Here are some red flags that may help narrow it down.
  • When checking the logs, the only thing I get is: “VM 104 start failed - Transport endpoint is not connected”
  • A failure when backing up gives: “ERROR: Backup of VM 104 failed - command 'qm set 104 --lock backup' failed with exit code 255”. This was the first backup after many successful ones.
  • When using the Proxmox portal I see all VMs and their status. When doing 'qm list' it doesn't show any running VMs, only two stopped ones.
  • Most of the Storage Volumes are at or close to 100% capacity, except for local which is at 50% capacity.
  • The disk space for each VM, shows more free space, of course I can’t see the space for the one that failed to start.
  • It does look like I have successful backups of the VM from when it was last running.
I’m stumped because of my lack of knowledge of proxmox. I’m hoping someone may be able to provide some insight to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!