[SOLVED] VM Drive issue encountered, but only during PVE7TO8 Upgrade test script?

Elrendhel

Jan 31, 2022
Greetings folks!

I seem to be a bit of a magnet for odd problems.

I have a PVE7TO8 warning that speaks to some kind of failure on one of my VM Disks, but I've not seen any issues inside of ProxMox that warned me of such a problem before. I get several other errors (4 total), and I've tried to address each, but sadly I'm just a Home Lab user, so not very savvy on how to troubleshoot a VM issue.

Code:
root@pve:~# pve7to8 --full
= CHECKING VERSION INFORMATION FOR PVE PACKAGES =

Checking for package updates..
PASS: all packages up-to-date

Checking proxmox-ve package version..
PASS: already upgraded to Proxmox VE 8

Checking running kernel version..
WARN: unexpected running and installed kernel '5.15.158-1-pve'.

= CHECKING CLUSTER HEALTH/SETTINGS =

SKIP: standalone node.

= CHECKING HYPER-CONVERGED CEPH STATUS =

SKIP: no hyper-converged ceph setup detected!

= CHECKING CONFIGURED STORAGES =

PASS: storage 'local' enabled and active.
PASS: storage 'local-lvm' enabled and active.
INFO: Checking storage content type configuration..
WARN: VM 102 - volume 'local_raidpool:vm-102-disk-0' (in config) - storage does not exist!
PASS: no storage re-uses a directory for multiple content types.

= MISCELLANEOUS CHECKS =

INFO: Checking common daemon services..
PASS: systemd unit 'pveproxy.service' is in state 'active'
PASS: systemd unit 'pvedaemon.service' is in state 'active'
PASS: systemd unit 'pvescheduler.service' is in state 'active'
PASS: systemd unit 'pvestatd.service' is in state 'active'
INFO: Checking for supported & active NTP service..
PASS: Detected active time synchronisation unit 'chrony.service'
INFO: Checking for running guests..
WARN: 5 running guest(s) detected - consider migrating or stopping them.
INFO: Checking if the local node's hostname 'pve' is resolvable..
INFO: Checking if resolved IP is configured on local node..
PASS: Resolved node IP '192.168.1.100' configured and active on single interface.
INFO: Check node certificate's RSA key size
PASS: Certificate 'pve-root-ca.pem' passed Debian Busters (and newer) security level for TLS connections (4096 >= 2048)
PASS: Certificate 'pve-ssl.pem' passed Debian Busters (and newer) security level for TLS connections (2048 >= 2048)
INFO: Checking backup retention settings..
PASS: no backup retention problems found.
INFO: checking CIFS credential location..
PASS: no CIFS credentials at outdated location found.
INFO: Checking permission system changes..
INFO: Checking custom role IDs for clashes with new 'PVE' namespace..
PASS: no custom roles defined, so no clash with 'PVE' role ID namespace enforced in Proxmox VE 8
INFO: Checking if LXCFS is running with FUSE3 library, if already upgraded..
WARN: systems seems to be upgraded but LXCFS is still running with FUSE 2 library, not yet rebooted?
INFO: Checking node and guest description/note length..
PASS: All node config descriptions fit in the new limit of 64 KiB
PASS: All guest config descriptions fit in the new limit of 8 KiB
INFO: Checking container configs for deprecated lxc.cgroup entries
PASS: No legacy 'lxc.cgroup' keys found.
INFO: Checking if the suite for the Debian security repository is correct..
PASS: found no suite mismatch
INFO: Checking for existence of NVIDIA vGPU Manager..
PASS: No NVIDIA vGPU Service found.
INFO: Checking bootloader configuration...
SKIP: System booted in legacy-mode - no need for additional packages
INFO: Check for dkms modules...
SKIP: could not get dkms status
SKIP: No containers on node detected.

= SUMMARY =

TOTAL:    30
PASSED:   21
SKIPPED:  5
WARNINGS: 4
FAILURES: 0

ATTENTION: Please check the output for detailed information!

Obviously the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Warnings will be fixed by simply restarting the server (or when I stop the VMs prior to restarting), so those are mostly a non-issue in so far as I'm concerned.

It's the 2nd Warning, which is about my TrueNAS VM that has me worried. TrueNAS appears to be running fine per ProxMox, which is to say ProxMox has provided no warnings or any other indicators of impending failure. It's also reporting fine when I access the TrueNAS WebGUI itself, so not sure if this is a false positive or something else. In fact, this is the first I'm hearing about this issue, and it's only since I began the PVE7TO8 process.

I'm also unaware of how I could troubleshoot this particular aspect any further, but if anyone has expertise here, I'd love to know how to resolve this particular issue before I choose to restart the server to complete the upgrade.

Hi,

If you did reboot for the server could you re-post the output of the `pve7to8 --full` command? And please the config of 102 VM `qm config 102`.

Hello Moayad!

Thank you for responding! No, I have not rebooted yet, although my Proxmox GUI is already reflecting ver 8.2.4, as you can see in the screenshot below.

I was hoping to narrow down the cause of the VM Drive issue before I rebooted. Or at least confirmation of the possible false-negative aspect.

Might you know of a reason why Proxmox GUI and TrueNAS itself would report fine, and only the PVE7TO8 script would see a problem? No matter how many times I run that script, it always sees that same issue, so I am not aware of what is causing it to make that statement.

The script output:
VM Drive Error.jpg

Doesn't seem to want to match the Proxmox GUI:
VM Drive Exists.jpg

Where can I obtain this config you are inquiring about? Apologies, I'm a bit of a home-lab newb, and I see no other options that I can use to show the VM config in the GUI. Can you advise how I can procure this info for you? Maybe it just requires a CLI ?

But let me know what I need to do and I'll do it.

Thanks!

-David

I believe you do in fact have a mismatch:

From your GUI it appears the vm-102-disk0.qcow2 resides in local storage. However the config for the VM has it in local_raidpool (see it in the prefix) which doesn't exist.

Post output for the following:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf

Reactions: leesteken
Greetings gfngfn256!

Thank you for confirming the mismatch. Here is the output you requested:

Attachments

• CLI Output.jpg
    CLI Output.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 5
As I thought: You have an unused0 disk in the VM 102 config that has an unspecified storage location of local_raidpool. This is probably caused by some historic messing/misconfig etc.

The easiest way to deal with it:

In the GUI , go to the VM's Hardware tab, select the above unused disk & Remove. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT ONE.

If for some reason you are unsuccessful, (though I don't see why), you can try editing the /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf by commenting out that line beginning with unused0: by placing a # sign at the beginning. Save & exit & you should be good.

Good morning gfngfn256!

Excellent news, you've correctly ID'd the cause of my frustrations, and the proper method to resolve the problem! I performed the first option and removed the "unused" drive.

Subsequent run of the PVE7TO8 script ran without the warning in the disk section as you would have likely expected (see screenshot). You rock!

Knowing it was just some kind of orphaned setting is really going to help me sleep better tonight. I'll also be completing the reboot of the server tonight once everyone in the house is asleep.

Thank you again!

-David

Attachments

• VM Drive Now Fixed.jpg
    VM Drive Now Fixed.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3
Happy you got it working. Maybe tag prefix the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!