VM does not apply the settings after server restart.

hpoperator

Apr 18, 2023
Deutschland --> Saarland
hello dear community,

another problem (sorry, I'm still at the beginning)....
I have a VM running with OpenMediaVault, here I made some settings yesterday. Then shut down the server and today, after work I wanted to continue configuring, but when I logged into OMV again I noticed that it did not save any of my settings. Is like every time you restart the server on this VM you have to start over (settings in Proxmox remain after server restart).

Is there a setting somewhere to define so that it applies/saves changes made in the VM?

best regards

hello dear community,

another problem (sorry, I'm still at the beginning)....
I have a VM running with OpenMediaVault, here I made some settings yesterday. Then shut down the server and today, after work I wanted to continue configuring, but when I logged into OMV again I noticed that it did not save any of my settings. Is like every time you restart the server on this VM you have to start over (settings in Proxmox remain after server restart).

Is there a setting somewhere to define so that it applies/saves changes made in the VM?

best regards
Hi,
changes inside the VM are persisted to the VM disk, as long as Open Media Vault actually wrote them to the disk.
Please post the PVE storage config and VM config for us to check if something is off.
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
qm config <VMID>
Replace VMID with the ID of the VM in question.

How did you stop the VM? Via a gracefull shutdown or via a stop?

Hi,
changes inside the VM are persisted to the VM disk, as long as Open Media Vault actually wrote them to the disk.
Please post the PVE storage config and VM config for us to check if something is off.
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
qm config <VMID>
Replace VMID with the ID of the VM in question.

How did you stop the VM? Via a gracefull shutdown or via a stop?
hello chris.

thank you for your answer!

I noticed that I can not shut down the vm.
As soon as I click on "shutdown" in Proxmox on the respective VM (100), a circle rotates at the bottom of the information window for about a minute and then the error message appears there:
"VM quit/powerdown failed - got timeout" (see screenshot).

2023-04-19 23_47_10-.png

Consequently, I simply shut down the server as a whole (no continuous operation).

attached the output of the respective commands:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

2023-04-19 23_50_11-192.168.178.30 - PuTTY.png

Code:
qm config <VMID>
VMID = 100

2023-04-19 23_51_56-192.168.178.30 - PuTTY.png

best regards!

Addendum:
but with my Plex LXC (101) the "shutdown" works fine.
when I go to the webGUI of Openmediavault and click on "shutdown" there, the VM also shuts down and in Proxmox from then on the box with "shutdown" is grayed out and no longer clickable under the VM.
So the box seems to have an error.

Last edited:
hello chris.

thank you for your answer!

I noticed that I can not shut down the vm.
As soon as I click on "shutdown" in Proxmox on the respective VM (100), a circle rotates at the bottom of the information window for about a minute and then the error message appears there:
"VM quit/powerdown failed - got timeout" (see screenshot).

View attachment 49422

Consequently, I simply shut down the server as a whole (no continuous operation).

attached the output of the respective commands:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

View attachment 49423

Code:
qm config <VMID>
VMID = 100

View attachment 49424

best regards!

Addendum:
but with my Plex LXC (101) the "shutdown" works fine.
when I go to the webGUI of Openmediavault and click on "shutdown" there, the VM also shuts down and in Proxmox from then on the box with "shutdown" is grayed out and no longer clickable under the VM.
So the box seems to have an error.
Hi, please make sure the qemu-guest-agent is installed and activated for the VM in order for shutdown to work correctly. Your config looks fine, I see no reason why the changes should not be persisted, if actually written to the disk. What changes exactly did you make that you found to be not stored?

Hi,
I'm having the same issue with an Alpine VM after I restart the VM.
qemu-guest-agent is installed and enabled, and here are the outputs of
Code:
❯ qm config 103
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 1
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
description: VM Alpine avec %0Avim, zsh, ohmyzsh, docker, git, curl, wget, starship
ide2: local:iso/alpine-virt-3.20.3-x86_64.iso,media=cdrom,size=61M
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1728475988
name: Alpine320VMTemplate
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:D7:21:F2,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-103-disk-0,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=2c248e3c-afbc-4bca-92c0-e3cddceef034
sockets: 1
vmgenid: ae7216c3-9c1f-44f7-9a94-8eb1bafbb54c
And
Code:
❯ cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

Any idea what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

Hi,
qemu-guest-agent is installed and enabled, and here are the outputs of
Code:
❯ qm config 103
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 1
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
description: VM Alpine avec %0Avim, zsh, ohmyzsh, docker, git, curl, wget, starship
ide2: local:iso/alpine-virt-3.20.3-x86_64.iso,media=cdrom,size=61M
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1728475988
name: Alpine320VMTemplate
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:D7:21:F2,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-103-disk-0,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=2c248e3c-afbc-4bca-92c0-e3cddceef034
sockets: 1
vmgenid: ae7216c3-9c1f-44f7-9a94-8eb1bafbb54c
And
Code:
❯ cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

Any idea what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Hi,
you do not have the qemu guest agent enabled in the VM > Options. Please see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

However, I thought the qemu agent was for Proxmox interacting with the VM, not for when shutting down the VM from the VM itself
If you shutdown the VM from within the VM itself, the guest agent is not at play, only if you trigger it via the PVE tooling.

Then you might want to explain what is not working for you, as the assumption was that you are referring to the guest shutdown via the guest agent.

If you shutdown the VM from within the VM itself, the guest agent is not at play, only if you trigger it via the PVE tooling.

Then you might want to explain what is not working for you, as the assumption was that you are referring to the guest shutdown via the guest agent.
Sorry for not being clear.
Let me give it another try: I started an Alpine VM, added some packages, then shutdown the VM from the VM itself. When starting it back, all the packages are missing.

Sorry for not being clear.
Let me give it another try: I started an Alpine VM, added some packages, then shutdown the VM from the VM itself. When starting it back, all the packages are missing.

Okay,some things to consider:
  • Are you sure you are booting into the actual VM and not into a live system, as e.g. you have a iso attached?
  • How and where are you installing the packages?
  • Is this a cloned VM from a template (as the name would imply)?

Are you sure you are booting into the actual VM and not into a live system, as e.g. you have a iso attached?
I was about to say yes, but now, I have doubts. I need to check that and get back to you. Thanks.
  • How and where are you installing the packages?
Into the VM. Just add sources, ask update, then ask add.
  • Is this a cloned VM from a template (as the name would imply)?
Nope. It has this name because it was intended to be a template for future VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!