VM Disk - ZFS or LVM

apap

Apr 18, 2021
I tried to read the wiki and old threads but I still have questions.

Basic condition:
My PVE server is RAM limited (16GB non-ECC).
PVE is running on 2 x 120GB SATA SSD
Storage is 1 x 8TB SATA HDD, will add another 8TB HDD for Mirror in the future.

1. ZFS question:
Other posts have said that ZFS requires 1GB of ram per TB of storage. Does this mean creating a Mirror of 2 x 8TB disks require 16GB (or is it 8GB) of RAM just for ZFS?

2. LVM question:
Given the limitation on RAM above, is LVM a better choice? Other have also said non-ECC memory on ZFS is a bad idea. This gives more weight to LVM. Would you agree?

3. Adding a 2nd HDD later for Mirroring:
I suppose both ZFS and LVM will allow me to add a 2nd HDD at a future date for mirroring.

Thank you

Last edited:
1. ZFS question:
Other posts have said that ZFS requires 1GB of ram per TB of storage. Does this mean creating a Mirror of 2 x 8TB disks require 16GB (or is it 8GB) of RAM just for ZFS?

This is a very large aproximation! By default, ZFS will use 50% RAM.
2. LVM question:
Given the limitation on RAM above, is LVM a better choice? Other have also said non-ECC memory on ZFS is a bad idea. This gives more weight to LVM. Would you agree?
non-ECC is a bad idea for ANYthing, not only for zfs. But yes sometime you can not afford to have ECC Ram.
3. Adding a 2nd HDD later for Mirroring:
I suppose both ZFS
Yes, for zfs. I do not use LVM ;)

Good luck / Bafta!

Reactions: apap

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!