vm disk size problem

bellatradesro

Dec 23, 2019
Hi Guys,
I have one big problem. I install one vm, with 80Gb disk. This first time work well, but our webshop make this full, shortly. After I have IO error. I check the things and In the Gui extend the VM disk. But I give More 70GB, But after we upload products on the webshop, and use 20GB but come again the disc full and IO error message. After I check the forums and i give in command line more space, but not upload nothing just the vm is started, the next morning say again the disc full, but we dont meke nothing, and the extra 6gb place is full. Now all of space i allocated to this vm. Nom more space only we have on the pve partition what is 53GB, but only use, 5 GB. I think how if schrink from this 20gb, and this 20GB I give to the LVM THin pool, and increase the disk size form vm I will restart again the VM I just want download the products from the webshop and the media files and the database. and After rekonfiguration the server and reinstall the webshop and upload the products back. (more than 30K product.) I dont want loose the data. Can you help me in this?

Some info from the server.
Host maschine is Phisical Raid 10 with 240GB disc EXT4 form
The VM now show in GUI 190GB bootdisk, BUt only in terminal show 163GB
Inside the VM see 163 GB but only 80 GB Use 70 is free
THe LVM THIN size is show 163.26GB and 100% full
After start the vm, 5 min i have io error.

root@bigstorehosting:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 6.3G 9.5M 6.3G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 56G 4.1G 52G 8% /
tmpfs 32G 43M 32G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/fuse 30M 16K 30M 1% /etc/pve
tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/0

root@bigstorehosting:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotzD- <163.26g 100.00 6.23
root pve -wi-ao---- 55.75g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 1.00g
vm-105-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 190.00g data 85.93

lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/pve/swap
LV Name swap
VG Name pve
LV UUID CQdJ47-kMcd-DEre-1VwH-5QsT-52v2-ASm8re
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time proxmox, 2020-05-28 17:25:24 +0200
LV Status available
# open 2
LV Size 1.00 GiB
Current LE 256
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/pve/root
LV Name root
VG Name pve
LV UUID XwKJ7s-nOb0-sXww-UAO8-5OQn-e7FV-fmviIu
LV Creation host, time proxmox, 2020-05-28 17:25:24 +0200
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 55.75 GiB
Current LE 14272
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:1

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name data
VG Name pve
LV UUID 50rRVb-pYYb-WPGd-0SHC-m5vJ-ueRB-jIKutC
LV Creation host, time proxmox, 2020-05-28 17:25:25 +0200
LV Pool metadata data_tmeta
LV Pool data data_tdata
LV Status available
# open 2
LV Size <163.26 GiB
Allocated pool data 100.00%
Allocated metadata 6.23%
Current LE 41794
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:4

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/pve/vm-105-disk-0
LV Name vm-105-disk-0
VG Name pve
LV UUID vItkB3-e3i7-tERG-EMW5-2XYV-lbbX-6qdnWp
LV Creation host, time bigstorehosting, 2020-07-01 22:09:27 +0200
LV Pool name data
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 190.00 GiB
Mapped size 85.93%
Current LE 48640
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:6

How i fix this?

Last edited:
I'm not entirely certain what the issue here is, but could it be that you only extended the disk size from PVE and not in the guest? If you use the "resize disk" option in PVE, only the virtual block device is resized, the partitions from the guest OS still only reference the old size.

So after the "Resize disk" in PVE, you need to go into your guest and resize the partitions, easiest way is probably to attach a live-disk ISO to your VM, boot from it and use something like 'gparted' to resize your partition and root file system.

Reactions: bellatradesro
I'm not entirely certain what the issue here is, but could it be that you only extended the disk size from PVE and not in the guest? If you use the "resize disk" option in PVE, only the virtual block device is resized, the partitions from the guest OS still only reference the old size.

So after the "Resize disk" in PVE, you need to go into your guest and resize the partitions, easiest way is probably to attach a live-disk ISO to your VM, boot from it and use something like 'gparted' to resize your partition and root file system.
Dear Stefan, Thanks to your reply. The problem,how i make first one mistake and add disk from gui to vm and the vm size is now show 190GB but on the LVM the data pool only 166,2 GB the space. And the second problem how i Give in the vm the space and the vm see 166,2 GB disk, its nice, but from this 166,2 GB the VM only use 82GB, and the Others is free. The Problem how the vm after start 1-2 min going tobe I-O error, because say the disc is full. And If I check the Data Pool is say the 166,2 GB is full. Now I take more 2 disk in the server and I have more 112GB space, and I want extend the data lvm how the maschine will start and i will download the webshop data from this server and aftyer reconfiguration the all of thing on the server, My plan I make one raid1 config for the proxmox, and one raid 10 for the vm-s. I want only 1 vm run on this server with one webshop with 50k products., The server run 32core, and hardware raid with 2gb writecash, with 64Gb memory. this hardware more than enogh for this, but this thing kill me :D. Now i give the new disks, and make one new lvm and want add to this vm disk more space how the vm not run the i-o error. But not work. Can you help me how i add more space the original vm-disk ?

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest, I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what exactly you mean. If you resize the disk from PVE, you need to increase the allocated space within the VM as well. If you're using LVM, something like this might help?

In general, it's hard to say more without 'df -h', 'lvs', 'vgs', 'pvs', etc... output from the guest. (I'm assuming your PVE works as intended, and it's just in the guest that you're getting errors? If your PVE disk is full, that might be the issue too)

I take some screenshot from the gui maybe this help how see the situation. actually only the vm disk size the problem, but the funny thing inside the vm i have 70GB free space.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(6).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(6).png
    152.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(1).png
    114.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(2).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(2).png
    233.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(4).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(4).png
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(5).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(5).png
    195.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(6).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(6).png
    152.8 KB · Views: 23
and from the syslog

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(7).png
    Screenshot_2020-08-12 bigstorehosting - Proxmox Virtual Environment(7).png
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
Well, your local-lvm is indeed full... That's the reason you're seeing the IO errors from within the VM. It doesn't matter how much free space it shows within the VM, when writing data it may still want to allocate a new block, which will fail, because, well, you're disk is full.

Move your VM to a new disk with more free space and try again...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!