VM creation failed with the error "rbd: create error: (17) File exists"

sudomaster.ljs

Oct 29, 2022
Hello,

I am creating VMs from backup with fresh VM IDs, I can confirm that none of those IDs were pre-used. But it throws below error when creating VMs. I tried to create 15 VMs, 3 of them failed with the same error.

==============================
restore vma archive: vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3582682.fifo /mnt/pve/clua-image-store01/dump/vzdump-qemu-ubuntu-20.04_84.vma /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3582682
CFG: size: 574 name: qemu-server.conf
DEV: dev_id=1 size: 2147483648 devname: drive-scsi0
CTIME: Tue Jan 10 15:57:14 2023
rbd: create error: (17) File exists
no lock found trying to remove 'create' lock
error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 10032 state is NOT cleaned up.
TASK ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3582682.fifo /mnt/pve/clua-image-store01/dump/vzdump-qemu-ubuntu-20.04_84.vma /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3582682' failed: rbd create 'vm-10032-cloudinit' error: rbd: create error: (17) File exists
================================

What could be the issue, any hints please?

Thanks
LJ

Hi,
please share the output of pveversion -v and the configuration in the backup (there is a Show configuration button when you select the backup in the UI). What does rbd -p <your pool name> ls | grep cloudinit show?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!