VM container transfer to a different proxmox server

nttec

Jun 1, 2016
is it possible to copy the vm to a different proxmox server and run it from there?

if it is possible, what are the file that I need to get from the current server and their locations?

Here's what I've done so far

my file is located at

/dev/Data-Storage/

I transfer one of the vm file there to a different proxmox server and run it from there. and end-up with this error

Code:
TASK ERROR: can't activate LV '/dev/Data-Storage/vm-111-disk-1':   Failed to find logical volume "Data-Storage/vm-111-disk-1"

Create a backup (vzdump) and restore it on the other end, this way you have all you need in one package. ;)

but is it possible to do the other way? I mean the hard way. get the file one by one and transfer it to the other server.

you seem to have LVM storage for your VM. You need to copy the block contents from the device to a file using dd.
But this is exactly what vzdump does already for you.

but is it possible to do the other way? I mean the hard way. get the file one by one and transfer it to the other server.
sure, but why would you? It takes more time (more error prone) to manually export the VM disk from LVM (being consistent) and transferring it with config to the other node+storage.
  1. Move disk(s) to file based storage (dir storage)
  2. Shutdown VM
  3. Transfer VM image files to new host
  4. Copy vmid.conf to new host
  5. Move disk to the new storage (optionally needed)
you seem to have LVM storage for your VM. You need to copy the block contents from the device to a file using dd.
But this is exactly what vzdump does already for you.
With LVM-thin, copy by dd isn't so easily possible either.

I am trying to learn more about proxmox, and I think with this way, I will further understand what happen behind and see what files are being transferred and same on the dump file.

@nttec
from my own opinion from the more classy to the less classy technique to transfert/copy a container from host to host
1. you make a cluster
2. you backup than restore
3. if both of your server have a file level backend storage than your could sync your ct by rsync /rpool/data/subvol-100-disk-0/

Create a backup (vzdump) and restore it on the other end, this way you have all you need in one package. ;)
But what happens if the original server is an older version of proxmox and i want to move the container to a newer version??

But what happens if the original server is an older version of proxmox and i want to move the container to a newer version??
For one, just try it out, as you have a backup and possibly also the original on the old system. Secondly, we test our upgrade path from a older version to a newer one. In most cases this works w/o issues.

For example, PVE 4.x to 5.x upgrade path.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!