VM backup when root is disabled

jlambo

Mar 31, 2023
Hi
I'm new to proxmox as is my team, the previous guy who set this up has left the company so please bear with me for any basic questions.

We have had some issues with our NMS system running out of space and we expanded/resized the volume but we found the previous guy had disabled root access and used another user account, we got around this issue and everything seemed fine.

I am now trying to figure out why my tmp folder maxed out alongside some minor issues with have happened since the resize and reboot.
I created a backup before the volume was expanded and the VM was restarted but only seem to have the option to log in as root from the console, but as this had been disabled it kicks me out instantly, is there anyway round this? I have tripled checked the passwords and ensured there isnt an issue with special characters etc...

Any advice would be great if there is a way not to log in as root from a backup VM just via console available through proxmox

is this a lxc container or a vm? if it is a container, do
Bash:
pct mount CTID
Bash:
chroot /var/lib/lxc/CTID/rootfs
Now you are inside the containers filesystem, set new password by
Bash:
passwd root
NEW PASSWORD
NEW PASSWORD
check that root shell is set to /bin/bash and not /bin/false or something like that
Bash:
getent passwd root
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

exit chroot with
Bash:
exit
;)

if it is a vm boot the vm with a live iso (eg ubuntu), mount the filesystem of your vm ond continue like above.

Reactions: jlambo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!