VLAN Tagging Management Interface

roomwillow

Apr 4, 2020
I am new to ProxMox so excuse any stupid questions, to my understanding, a management interface is just a bridge with an IP address... correct? In that case, I have the bridge attached to a bond, and I want the bridge to be tagged so its traffic (including the management interface on top of it) are all tagged into one VLAN.

I've seen some results from searching the forum that used a networking file... is there a way to do this from GUI? If not whats the cleanest way to do it from the network file?

Thanks!

I am new to ProxMox so excuse any stupid questions, to my understanding, a management interface is just a bridge with an IP address... correct?
A management could be also an ethX interface or or bond interface. (with .X for vlan).
But if you need vms in the same vlan, you need a bridge. And an ip address can't be set directly on a interface if this interface is in a bridge.

In that case, I have the bridge attached to a bond, and I want the bridge to be tagged so its traffic (including the management interface on top of it) are all tagged into one VLAN.

something like

Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
         bond-slaves eth0 eth1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
           address 192.168.0.10/24
           gateway 192.168.0.1
           bridge-ports bond0.X     # where X is your vlan number)           
           bridge-stp off
           bridge-fd 0

You can do it with gui too.

1) create a bond
2) create the bridge with the bond0.X as bridge-port

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!