VLAN Tag above 199 does not work

IOTS

Aug 7, 2024
Hello,
I am new with using the pve. But for now everything is working like I was expecting it. but there is one thing I do not understand.

I am using two bridges. One for Management and the second for the vms. Each is connected to a physical LAN Port. The Second bridge is setup to using VLAN. I use VLAN Tags like: 101, 102, 201, 202, 301 .. and so on.
When I setup a Vm to use the VLAN Tag 101 or 102 its working fine. but if I setup to VLAN tag 201 or above it dosent work. so it seems like everthing above 199 does not work.

In the switch i setup a Trunk config on the port for range between 1 and 600. the same switch setup is working fine on a port wich is connected to Vmware envirement.

I was hoping it is a very simple thing an somebody is able to help. Thanks

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.52.11/24
gateway xxx.xxx.52.1
bridge-ports ens6f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

Hi,
all looks right. I have many PVE clusters at my customers where almost always VLAN IDs over 200 are used.

Since the configuration on Linux/PVE is very simple and you can do almost nothing wrong, I would check the switch configuration first.
Maybe MST is used and therefore certain VLANs are blocked?
As soon as the corresponding VLAN exists on the switch and the VLAN is allowed on the trunk port, it will always works.

Hello,
I am new with using the pve. But for now everything is working like I was expecting it. but there is one thing I do not understand.

I am using two bridges. One for Management and the second for the vms. Each is connected to a physical LAN Port. The Second bridge is setup to using VLAN. I use VLAN Tags like: 101, 102, 201, 202, 301 .. and so on.
When I setup a Vm to use the VLAN Tag 101 or 102 its working fine. but if I setup to VLAN tag 201 or above it dosent work. so it seems like everthing above 199 does not work.

In the switch i setup a Trunk config on the port for range between 1 and 600. the same switch setup is working fine on a port wich is connected to Vmware envirement.

I was hoping it is a very simple thing an somebody is able to help. Thanks

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.52.11/24
gateway xxx.xxx.52.1
bridge-ports ens6f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

Did you try creating subinterfaces (eg bridge_ports eno1.201) on those same VLANs if those work in your VM?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!