VLAN passthrough

rklz

Feb 25, 2024
I have been searching the forums and finding lots of articles asking something similar to what I am about to ask, but terminology is so different coming from ESXi that I am not understanding exactly what I need to do. In ESXi, I can create a vswitch and set the VLAN to a special vlan of 4095 which tells ESXi not to touch vlan tags at all and pass them through completely unmodified.

So in Proxmox I have created a bridge that will have a pfsense firewall virtual interface on it that will need to receive all vlan tags from the switch without proxmox messing with them so that the pfsense can route the packets appropriately. How do I get proxmox to do this? Is this simply the VLAN aware switch? or is NOT having the VLAN aware switch on that passes them through?

When setting the vlan-aware switch it will add a...
Code:
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094
...to your bridge. If you don'T change the "bridge-vids" it won't block packets tagged with VLANID 2 to 4094.

If you then don't want PVE to mess with VLANs for your VM you simply not set anything in the "VLAN Tag" field of your VMs virtio NIC. The VM will then receive all packets untagged or tagged with 2 to 4094.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have the same problem, i'm unable to have two bridge on the same raw device, one for VLAN (Management), one for 4095.
My sever has only one network card so i need VLAN.

In esxi i had two vswitch, one on VLAN 100 and one on VLAN 4095.
So i can create a VM with netword card binded to second vswitch, VLAN will be managed by the VM.
Or i can create a VM with network card binded to first one, VM will be in VLAN100 without configuration.

In Proxmox 8.2 i can't achieve this, i'm able to create a VMBR100 on VLAN100 and VM will be in this VLAN. But if i put VM in vmbr0 and tag 100 in proxmox network interface it's not working and i'm unable to let the VM manage VLAN directly too (and this is what i need for my opnsense configuration).

And i need a proxmox network interface on VLAN100 for management...

Here my configuration :

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

iface wlp4s0 inet manual

auto vmbr100
iface vmbr100 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0.100
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        address 192.168.10.4/24
        gateway 192.168.10.1

Thanks

nsc

Last edited:
i found solution from this thread : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vlan-issues.124714/

I adapt configuration like this :

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

iface wlp4s0 inet manual

auto mgmt
iface mgmt inet static
        address 192.168.10.4/24
        gateway 192.168.10.1
        mtu 1500
        vlan-id 100
        vlan-raw-device vmbr0

now i can have a VM on vmbr0 and i can fix VLAN Tagging inside the VM or i can tag directly in proxmox VM interface.

both working :)

i won't try to create another vmbr100 "bridge" like in vmware...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!