VLAN not forwarded

Sapp

Dec 23, 2022
Hi,

I am currently setting up my homelab and have some issues getting the VLANs propertly working.
The VM within the VLAN cannot reach the network and also cannot be reached. If I set the VLAN ID=None, it uses the PVID (100) assigned in the switch and works. Even if I set VLAN ID = 100, so to the PVID value, it does not work.
The routing is performed by OPNSense, which does not receive any requests of the VM as long as I set a VLAN on the VM.

Currently Proxmox uses a single network port, once I got my new server, I want to use multiple physical ports.

Minimal network topology, if necessary I can attach a more detailed version, but I think most of the configuration will be clear in this one.

1671811531041.png

Proxmox network config:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp7s0 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.10.0.2/24
        gateway 10.10.0.1
        bridge-ports enp7s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

My test VM's IP settings:
1671810390885.png

Test VM interfaces config:
1671810462095.png

Switch Config:
1671811692902.png

Do you have any ideas why it does not work?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
seems to be working as I would expect, might be a misunderstanding on your part on how tagged and untagged traffic should work from the perspective of your switch port.

Current setup on switch port 4: PVID 100, tagged 1, 101 plugged into Proxmox. All untagged network packets from proxmox and a VM/lxc will pass through and have vlan100 added. All vlan1 and vlan101 tagged network packets from proxmox and a vm/lxc will pass. All other network packets tagged with any other vlan will be dropped, this included those already tagged by Proxmox or a vm/LXC with vlan100.

Currently the above means the proxmox host CIDR/Gateway network packets are also being tagged vlan100 at the switch. Is this what you want?

Last edited:
seems to be working as I would expect, might be a misunderstanding on your part on how tagged and untagged traffic should work from the perspective of your switch port.

Current setup on switch port 4: PVID 100, tagged 1, 101 plugged into Proxmox. All untagged network packets from proxmox and a VM/lxc will pass through and have vlan100 added. All vlan1 and vlan101 tagged network packets from proxmox and a vm/lxc will pass. All other network packets tagged with any other vlan will be dropped, this included those already tagged by Proxmox or a vm/LXC with vlan100.

Currently the above means the proxmox host CIDR/Gateway network packets are also being tagged vlan100 at the switch. Is this what you want?
That could also be the case, that I got the switch setup wrong.
Actually I want that the default tag is 100 (if it has not been tagged by Proxmox) and otherwise the Proxmox tag.
What I also don't understand is, why the 100 or 101 tagged packets are dropped from the switch (whereby PVID is 100, too).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!