[SOLVED] VLAN aware bridge in Proxmox 6

SourCheeks

Sep 25, 2019
Not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong, but since upgrading to version 6 my server won't connect to my network. I've got a single physical interface that carries 2 tagged vlans to my switch. Following the example in the wiki for VLAN aware Linux bridge (without OVS) my /etc/network/interfaces looks something like this:

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0.10
iface vmbr0.10 inet static
address 10.10.10.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.10.10.1

auto vmbr0.11
iface vmbr0.11 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

This was working for me prior to upgrading from 5 to 6, but does not work anymore. Instead, after trying countless permutations for syntax, I ended up with this:

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet static
address 10.10.10.2
netmask 24
gateway 10.10.10.1
bridge-ports eno1.10
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr11
iface vmbr11 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1.11
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

This DOES work in v6. The main difference is that a generic vmbr0 is unnecessary, but on the vlan specific bridges, the vlan specific interface must be specified under bridge-ports.

Seems like this is working for now, but I wanted to see if there is a more recommended way to do this?

Either way, I think the documentation needs to be updated.

Thanks for reading.

Is this really SOLVED? Reverting to this methodology appears to be a retrograde step

I had a similar issue, wherein I also had
```
iface vmbr87 inet static
bridge_ports bond0.87
```
and regular a vmbr0 interface.

To fix this..
I found the `vmbr0` interface setup had to preceed the others, after the `iface bond0 inet manual` stanza in the /etc/network/interfaces file

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!