virtualize bare-metal (win)

TErxleben

Renowned Member
Oct 20, 2008
I'm in the process of virtualizing bare metal installations. That works quite well too.
To do this, I pulled a vhdx file from the affected machines and imported it into Proxmox using qm import.... Also runs. However, the process in Proxmox creates a 1TB drive (the physical size of the original disk), even though only 98GB is used there. Now I've fought hard to get rid of these unnecessary 900GB (GParted et.al.). I can't manage it. Has anyone ever been in this valley of tears and might have a solution or idea?
Maybe its possible to export only used partitions from source?

Last edited:
Would using the Resize-VHD command perhaps work on the vhdx before importing it?
Code:
Resize-VHD -Path c:\BaseVHDX.vhdx -ToMinimumSize
Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/hyper-v/resize-vhd?view=windowsserver2022-ps

You might have to first reduce the size of the C-partition inside the .vhdx to something like 100GB, but I'd say try without first.
Thanks for the tip about resize VHD.
I will try it with the next patients.
Now HDclone.x5 helped me within the Win VM.

Symbol „Von der Community überprüft“

resize-vhd is unkowned on my Win10 (home) workstations.
So I startet the 1TB virtual machine, clean it up and copied it to a second virtual disk via hdclone x5. This works.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!