Virtual Users, Aliases, and Quarantines

erikogan

Jan 12, 2020
I’m looking to add PMG to our current setup, and have it replace our ancient virus, spam, and quarantine system (Maia Mailguard).

The problem arises in that we accept mail for at least a dozen domains, and a lot of those use Postfix’s virtusertable to redirect addresses within them to the correct local user. In our current setup, Maia is downstream of the virtual address lookups. I’d like each user to have a single quarantine regardless of the incoming address.

I definitely want to use PMG as a border MTA/proxy, so as I see it, this leaves 2 options:
  1. Add the virtusertable & aliases to the PMG setup.
  2. Configure PMG to have a user/quarantine for every virtual address.
To be honest, I’m not crazy about either option, but #1 is definitely more appealing than #2.

I’m comfortable enough with Postfix that I’m pretty sure I can get that working (though I have not looked at PMG’s specific postfix configuration yet). I just want to be sure that if I choose do this I won’t cause issues with other portions of PMG. Especially since some of those virtual addresses point to remote emails.

Is this what people would recommend? Am I missing something obvious? Is my whole approach backwards somehow? I’d love feedback on this.

If you have a setup where the users are configured in an LDAP you could use that as source of which mail belongs to which mailbox
Apart from that I think this cannot be done (PMG stores each mail into the quarantine for the mailbox and has no concept of aliases (apart from LDAP)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!