Virtual pfSense - is there anything wrong with this config?

Soogs

Jul 11, 2023
Hello, so I have been using this config for almost 2 years and as far as I am aware there isnt a problem but someone has told me it is wrong...
I have revisited the netgate instruction page and it is wrong.

PVE network:
enp1s0f0 - vmbr0 - <pve ip address>
enp1s0f1 - vmbr1
enp1s0f2 - vmbr2

Expected Setup:
enp1s0f1 - vmbr1 - WAN
enp1s0f2 - vmbr2 - LAN

Actual Setup:
enp1s0f0 - vmbr0 - LAN
enp1s0f1 - vmbr1 - WAN1
enp1s0f2 - vmbr2 - WAN2

Note:
-WAN2 is no longer in use but intend to have it back at some point.
-My Main router has 4+1 NICs
-My backup router only has 3 NICs
-It would be handy if I could stick with three NICs as its easy to clone backups(updated config/OS updates/patches etc) over to the backup machine from time to time.

Do I actually need to change anything?

In pfSense GUI I do not see my ISP external IP - I think it is showing the ONT IP.
in the pfSense Terminal it does actually show the External IP

If this needs reworking, what do I need to do and in what order?

I feel like ive been thinking about this for so long my brain has stopped working :(

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

I think I have done it...

I added vmbr3 and assigned it to enp1s0f3 and moved the PVE management interface/IP/GW to vmbr3

The only deviation now is that vtnet 0 and 1 are in the reverse order (but connected to the correct devices)

I dont see any difference but it is now correct....

Did I need to do this though? is there any hidden benefit to have it this way now?
Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!