virtual network does not access the internet

Andre_97

Mar 28, 2023
Good afternoon everybody!

Explaining the (long) problem in detail:

I installed proxmox on a PC/Server that has 2 network cards. In each card a different link comes in, being:
Link 1 - access only to the internal network of the house --> IP: 10.8.200.20/16
Link 2 - total internet access --> IP: 192.168.0.180/24

I am using link 1 to access Proxmox (including a web interface), which by not having access to the internet will give me more security. So the automatically created virtual network looks like this:

Code:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0

iface enp3s0 inet manual

#LINK 1 - INTRANET

auto enp4s0f1

iface enp4s0f1 inet static
           address 192.168.0.180/24

#LINK 2 - INTERNET

iface wlp5s0 inet manual

#wifi - desativado

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

address 10.8.200.20/16

gateway 10.8.200.1

bridge-ports enp3s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

Everything is working correctly and I did the ping test successfully.
This vmbr0, because it is on link 1, there is no internet through it. And that is where the journey begins...

I installed a virtual machine with debian and went to configure the network part and saw that it is only possible to insert a connection if it is a virtual network (a "vmbr"). So I configured it so that this time I could use link 2, where there is internet, to be able to update and access the outside world.
From what I saw in the tutorials, to create the next "vmbr" you must first create a linux bond (where you indicate which physical card it will "pull" the connection) and then create a linux bridge (where you will pull the bond network and make the final connection). And as it was explained in the videos, I did it, generated the "vmbr1" and it looked like this:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual
#LINK 1 - INTRANET

auto enp4s0f1
iface enp4s0f1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.180/24
#LINK 2 - INTERNET

iface wlp5s0 inet manual
#wifi - desativado

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves enp4s0f1
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode balance-rr

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.8.200.20/16
        gateway 10.8.200.1
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.180/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Only after doing this configuration, the internet simply stops working on the entire Proxmox. It is as if link 2 lost access to the outside world after creating vmbr1. As soon as I put the enp4s0f1 card (the one responsible for Link 2) as a slave to bond0, it loses access to the internet. But all the videos tell me to do this so that the physical card is linked to the virtual one.

The most confusing thing is that, although I don't have internet access, I can ping the internal network of link 2. For example, there is another personal computer that also accesses link 2's network and has the IP 192.168.0.104. When I ping it from the proxmox shell, I can get access to it (as shown in image 2), but when I ping the internet, it can't (as shown in image 3).
It is as if there was something blocking the output of link 2 to the internet when configuring the new virtual network "vmbr1" and I don't know what it is.

Ps: I have already changed the proxmox gateway several times, but the problem is still the same.

Ps²: IMPORTANT - Before link 2 arrives at the proxmox machine, it comes from a loadbalance. In this loadbalance it goes into two different internet links (2 neighborhood networks), where it automatically decides which network is best to use at that moment and sends it to a non-manageable mini switch to distribute to my other PCs/ routers in that network (which includes a proxmox machine). So technically, this Link 2 I mentioned above, is derived from this loadbalance (and even the IP of this loadbalance is 192.168.0.1).

I have been stuck on this problem for almost a month, I have watched several videos, adjusted several settings and nothing works. If you think it is something from my physical network (like loadbalance or pc) you can give suggestions. I will try everything to solve this problem.

Attachments

• imagem 1 - vmbr1 (1).png
    imagem 1 - vmbr1 (1).png
    50.6 KB · Views: 4
  • imagem 2 - ping funciona (1).png
    imagem 2 - ping funciona (1).png
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
  • imagem 3 - ping ruim (1).png
    imagem 3 - ping ruim (1).png
    5.3 KB · Views: 4
u need no bond - take the interface like u do for vmbr0
hi, floh8

I've done without bond, just with linux bridge directly, but even then I had no success. The only way was to invert the slave ports, configuring link 2 to be the main one, using it on vmbr0. But this doesn't work for me, because I will have to access the proxmox through the ip with internet (which is insecure, since I can be vulnerable to attacks).

Doing it the way I want, it doesn't work. I just need to create a vmbr1 and put the physical network of link 2 as a bridge and the internet stops working immediately.
I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried several things without success. help me :'-C

Ps: Sorry for my strange English. I am using translator

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!