Virtual Disk question

Dec 8, 2022
I think I'm having a major misunderstanding of how some systems function and I'm hoping to get some proper clarity. I have a Proxmox server with a pair of drives mirrored for VM storage. I want to virtualize TrueNAS. I know it uses ZFS as its OS filesystem. I also know that ZFS on ZFS is bad.

When I create the VM using the wizard, and I assign the virtual disk to be stored on the mirrored ZFS pair in Proxmox, is this virtual disk ZFS? What I mean is does this create the ZFS on ZFS scenario?

truenas require its own dedicated disks, at least pass-through disks or better pass-through a hba.
ZFS on ZFS is only ok to do some tests.

truenas require its own dedicated disks, at least pass-through disks or better pass-through a hba.
ZFS on ZFS is only ok to do some tests.
I will be passing through a SATA controller for the data pools. My question was more about the virtual disk the OS is installed on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!